Numerical simulation of photocatalytic oxidation of gaseous pollutants using low Reynolds number turbulence models
Introduction: Photocatalytic oxidation of gaseous pollutants in differential
reactors is simulated using computational fluid dynamics.
Materials and methods: The momentum equation and pollutant transport
are solved by using ANSYS Fluent. The SIMPLE algorithm is used to treat
the pressure-velocity coupling. The laminar flow and low Reynolds k−ε models are used to describe turbulence.
Results: Velocity field distribution and degradation efficiency of different
models at various flow rates were obtained and compared with the experimental data. The simulation results of degradation efficiency under different
models are basically consistent.
Conclusion: Although low Reynolds k-ε models have better simulation results for high inlet flow rates, in terms of computation complexity, laminar
flow is recommended for simulation.
2. Deng Y. Developing a Langmuir-type excitation equi-
librium equation to describe the effect of light intensity on the kinetics of the photocatalytic oxidation. Chemi- cal Engineering Journal 2018;337:220 –227.
3. Chong M. N, Lei S, Jin B, Saint C, Chow C. W. Opti- misation of an annular photoreactor process for degra- dation of Congo Red using a newly synthesized titania im- pregnated kaolinite nano-photocatalyst. Separation and Purification Technology 2009;67 (3):355–363.
4. Herrmann J. M. Photocatalysis fundamentals revisited to avoid several misconceptions. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 2010;99 (3-4):461–468.
5. Sun X, Yan L, Xu R, Xu M, Zhu Y. Surface modifi- cation of TiO2 with poly- dopamine and its effect on photocatalytic degradation mechanism. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 2019;570:199–209.
6. Mohseni M, Taghipour F. Experimental and CFD anal- ysis of photocatalytic gas phase vinyl chloride (VC) oxidation. Chemical Engineering Science 2004;59 (7):1601 –1609.
7. Vincent G, Schaer E, Marquaire P. M, Zahraa O. CFD modelling of an annu- lar reactor, application to the photocatalytic degradation of acetone. Process Safety and Environmental Protection 2011;89 (1):35–40.
8. Khodadadian F, Boer M. W. de, Poursaeidesfahani A, Van Ommen, J. R, Stankiewicz A. I., and Lakerveld,
R. Design, characterization and model validation of a LED-based pho- tocatalytic reactor for gas phase appli- cations. Chemical Engineering Journal 2018;333:456– 466.
9. Duran J. E, Taghipour F, Mohseni M. CFD modeling of mass transfer in annular reactors. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 2009;52 (23):5390 –5401.
10. Long F, Deng B, Xu Y, Gao J, Zhang Y. Numerical sim- ulation of the disinfection performance in an annular reactor with different internal configurations. Journal of Water Process Engineering 2019;31:100824.
11. Wang X, Tan X, Yu T. Modeling of Formaldehyde Photocatalytic Degradation in a Honeycomb Mono- lith Reactor Using Computational Fluid Dynamics. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2014;53 (48):18402–18410.
12. Passal´ıa C, Alfano O, M, Brandi R. Journal Modeling and Experimental Verification of a Corrugated Plate Photocatalytic Reactor Using Computational Fluid Dy- namics. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 2011;50 (15):9077–9086.
13. Van Walsem J, Verbruggen S.W, Modde B, Lenaerts S, Denys S. CFD investigation of a multi-tube photocata- lytic reactor in non-steady-state conditions. Chemical Engineering Journal 2016;304:808–816.
14. Wang J, Deng B, Gao J, Cao H. Numerical simulation of radiation distribution in a slurry reactor: The effect of distribution of catalyst particles. Chemical Engineering Journal 2019;357:169 –179.
15. PareekV.K, Cox S.J, Brungs M.P, Young B, Adesina A.
A. Computational fluid dynamic (CFD) simulation of a
pilot-scale annular bubble column photocatalytic reac- tor. Chemical Engineering Science 2003;58 (3-6):859–
16. Boyjoo Y, Ang M, Pareek V. CFD simulation of a pi- lot scale slurry photocatalytic reactor and design of multiple-lamp reactors. Chemical Engineering Science 2014;111:266– 277.
17. Bagheri M, Mohseni M. Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modeling of VUV/UV photoreactors for water treatment. Chemical Engineering Journal 2014;256:51
18. Elyasi S, Taghipour F. Simulation of UV photoreactor for water disinfection in Eu- lerian framework. Chemi- cal Engineering Science 2006;61 (14):4741 –4749.
19. Casado C, Marug´an J, Timmers R, Mun˜oz M, Griek- en R. van. Comprehen- sive multiphysics modeling of photocatalytic processes by computational fluid dynam- ics based on intrinsic kinetic parameters determined in a differential photoreactor. Chemical Engineering Journal 2017;310:368 –380.
20. Einaga H, Tokura J, Teraoka Y, Ito K. Kinetic analysis of TiO2-catalyzed hetero- geneous photocatalytic oxi- dation of ethylene using computational fluid dynamics. Chemical Engineering Journal 2015;263:325–335.
21. Motegh M, Cen J, Appel P.W, Ommen J.R.Van, Kreutzer M.T. Photocatalytic- reactor efficiencies and simplified expressions to assess their relevance in ki- netic experi- ments. Chemical Engineering Journal 2012;207-208:607 –615.
22. TaghipourF, Mohseni M. CFD simulation of UV pho- tocatalytic reactors for air treatment. AIChE Journal 2005;51 (11):3039–3047.
23. Verbruggen S.W, Lenaerts, S, Denys S. Analytic versus CFD approach for kinetic modeling of gas phase photo- catalysis. Chemical Engineering Journal 2015;262:1–8.
24. Abid R. Evaluation of two-equation turbulence models for predicting transitional flows. International Journal of Engineering Science 1993;31 (6):831–840.
25. Lam C, Bremhost K. A Modified Form of the k-e Model for Predicting Wall Turbu- lence. Journal of Fluids En- gineering 1981;103:456–460.
26. Launder B. E, Sharma B. I. Application of the energy- dissipation model of turbulence to the calculation of flow near a spinning disc. Letters in Heat and Mass Transfer 1974;1:131–138.
27. Yang Z, Shih T. H. New time scale based k-epsilon model for near-wall turbulence. AIAA Journal 1993;31 (7):1191–1198.
28. AbeK, Kondoh, T. A new turbulence model for predict- ing fluid flow and heat transfer in separating and reat- taching flows-l. Flow field calculations. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 1994;37 (1):139– 151.
29. Hsieh W., Chang K. C. Calculation of wall heat transfer in pipe-expansion turbulent flows. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 1996;39:1831–3822.
|Issue||Vol 5 No 4 (2020): Autumn 2020|
|Photocatalytic oxidation; CFD; Degradation efficiency|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|