Health effects of air pollution in the aftermath of earthquake
Natural disasters are always among the main problems and challenges facing societies. Earthquakes had many adverse effects on human life, causing mortality, morbidity, and economical, psychological, and environmental damages. Tehran is one of the most vulnerable regions for disasters, especially earthquake due. In recent decades, ambient air pollution represents one of the most environmental risks to health in Tehran. One of the main factors increasing the concentration of air pollutants is vehicles. After the earthquake, people left their homes and stayed into their cars until morning. Therefore, due to the pollution caused by leaving the cars on, the concentration of pollutants increased and the caused a greater number of deaths attributed to air pollution.
2. Coppola DP. Chapter 5 - Preparedness. In: Coppola DP, editor. Introduction to International Disaster Management (Third Edition). Boston: Butterworth-Heinemann; 2015. p. 275-320.
3. Eslami A. Earthquake Report Malard. International Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Seismology; 2018.
4. Iranian Seismological Center. Institute of Geophysics; 2017.
5. Company TAQC. Air QualityI Index (AQI). Tehran Air Quality Control Company; 2017.
6. Esmaeili Z. In the last 12 hours, the Tehranians consumed gas for 24 hours 2017 [Available from: https://www.isna.ir/news/96093017120.
7. Rezaei Kalantari R, Kermani M, Dowlati M, Jonidi Jafari A. Number of mortality, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and acute myocardial infarction due to exposure to sulfur dioxide in Tehran, during 2005-2014. koomesh. 2018;20(1):34-42.
8. Aitsi-Selmi A, Egawa S, Sasaki H, Wannous C, Murray V. The Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction: Renewing the Global Commitment to People’s Resilience, Health, and Well-being. International Journal of Disaster Risk Science. 2015;6(2):164-76.
|Issue||Vol 5 No 3 (2020): Summer 2020|
|Section||Letters to the Editor|
|Disaster; Air pollution; Earthquake; Health|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|