Sulfur dioxide: Behaviour and trends at the industrial city of Araucaria/Brazil
Introduction: It is known that the levels of sulfur dioxide have a close relationship to the industrial emissions and they are also related to the climate, but it’s dispersion its mainly caused by the wind dynamics. The goal of this paper is to analyze the behaviour of this compound in two stations at Araucária city, in the state of Paraná, Southern Brazil, the city which is located in the industrial zone of Curitiba, the capital of the state.
Materials and methods: Measurements of SO2 were done in two monitoring stations in different regions of the city; one was located in the industrial zone and the other one was a residential zone. A basic statistical treatment was performed the R, which includes the construction of time series plots, histograms and analysis of SO2 levels and wind direction. The Theil-Sen trend estimator was applied on both time series in order to understand the past and present behaviour of the pollutant.
Results: The analysis of wind and SO2 levels revealed a straight relationship between the location of the industrial zone and air pollution. The trend calculation revealed for both stations, similar situations, in which the sulfur dioxide levels are decreasing.
Conclusion: During this research, it was possible to notice that there is an environmental problem on the suburbs of the city with a direct result from urban growth and the lack of planning for the suburban areas. This study reinforces the importance of urban planning policies as well as monitoring and fiscalization.
2. Liu H, Tian Y, Xu Y, Huang Z, Huang C, Hu Y, et al. Association between ambient air pollution and hospitalization for ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke in China: A multicity case-crossover study. Environmental Pollution. 2017;230:234-41.
3. Shima M. Health Effects of Air Pollution: A Historical Review and Present Status. Nihon eiseigaku zasshi Japanese journal of hygiene. 2017;72(3):159-65.
4. Chen C, Liu C, Chen R, Wang W, Li W, Kan H, et al. Ambient air pollution and daily hospital admissions for mental disorders in Shanghai, China. Science of The Total Environment. 2018;613:324-30.
5. Greenberg N, Carel R, Derazne E, Tiktinsky A, Tzur D, Portnov B. Modeling long-term effects attributed to nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and sulfur dioxide (SO2) exposure on asthma morbidity in a nationwide cohort in Israel. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A. 2017;80(6):326-37.
6. Oliveira D. Curitiba e o Mito da cidade Modelo. Curitiba. Editora UFPR. 2014
7. Moreira D, Tirabassi T. Modelo matemático de dispersão de poluentes na atmosfera: um instrumento técnico para a gestão ambiental. Ambiente & sociedade. 2004;7(2):159-71.
8. Zeri M, Oliveira-Júnior JF, Lyra GB. Spatiotemporal analysis of particulate matter, sulfur dioxide and carbon monoxide concentrations over the city of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics. 2011;113(3-4):139.
9. Carslaw DC, Ropkins K. Openair—an R package for air quality data analysis. Environmental Modelling & Software. 2012;27:52-61.
10. Munir S, Chen H, Ropkins K. Quantifying temporal trends in ground level ozone concentration in the UK. Science of the total environment. 2013;458:217-27.
11. Ancelet T, Davy PK, Trompetter WJ. Particulate matter sources and long-term trends in a small New Zealand city. Atmospheric Pollution Research. 2015;6(6):1105-12.
12. Bigi A, Ghermandi G. Long-term trend and variability of atmospheric PM10 Concentration in the Po Valley. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 2014, 14: 4895 -4907
13. Szulecka A, Oleniacz R, Rzeszutek M. Functionality of openair package in air pollution assessment and modeling—a case study of Krakow. Ochrona Srodowiska i Zasobów Naturalnych. 2017;28(2):22-7.
14. Castelhano FJ, Roseghini WFF. Caracterização da dinâmica dos ventos em Curitiba-PR. GEOUSP: Espaço E Tempo (Online). 2018;22(1):227-40.
15. IPARDES. Base de Dados do Estado. 2017 Available at: http://www.ipardes.pr.gov.br/imp/index.php.
16. DIRETRAN, ,Frota de Veículos Licenciados por Municipio – Paraná, 2018 Avaliable at: http://www.detran.pr.gov.br/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Fota_Licenciada__2018.pdf