Determination of the best interpolation method in estimating the concentration of environmental air pollutants in Tehran city in 2015
Introduction: Air pollution is one of the important issues in developing countries, due to increased population and industrialization. In this research, the spatial distribution of ambient air concentration such as CO, NO2, SO2, PM2.5, PM10, O3 and Air quality Index (AQI) in Tehran city in 2015 were evaluated using different deterministic ( inverse distance weighted, local polynomial, global polynomial, radial basis functions) and geostatistical (Kriging, Cokriging) methods.
Materials and methods: Root Mean Square Error (RMSE) and Mean Error (ME) using cross-evaluation methods were used to control the accuracy of the interpolation. To find the secondary variables in the cokriging method, the Pearson coefficient of each pollutant was calculated with another pollutant.
Results: The Kolmogorov-Smirnov test showed that all data followed normal distribution. Also the results indicated that in most cases, geostatistical methods were the best methods to estimate ambient air concentration. Finally, after selecting the best interpolation method, the zoning map of the pollutant was drawn with ArcGIS.
Conclusion: The results of 71 methods showed that in most cases, the geostatistical method is better than the deterministic method.
2. Dominick D, Juahir H, Latif MT, Zain SM, Aris AZ. Spatial assessment of air quality patterns in Malaysia using multivariate analysis. Atmospheric environment. 2012;60:172-81.
3. Aljeesh Y, Al Madhoun W, Shamh IA, Arcaya M. Assessment of indoor air quality in neonatal intensive care units in government hospitals in Gaza Strip, Palestine. Public health research. 2016;6(1):24-30.
4. Ni J-Q. Research and demonstration to improve air quality for the US animal feeding operations in the 21st century–A critical review. Environmental pollution. 2015;200:105-19.
5. Siddika N, Balogun HA, Amegah AK, Jaakkola JJ. Prenatal ambient air pollution exposure and the risk of stillbirth: systematic review and meta-analysis of the empirical evidence. Occupational and environmental medicine. 2016;73(9):573-81.
6. Cesur R, Tekin E, Ulker A. Air pollution and infant mortality: evidence from the expansion of natural gas infrastructure. The economic journal. 2016;127(600):330-62.
7. Dashtpagerdi MM, Sadatinejad SJ, Bidaki RZ, Khorsandi E. Evaluation of air pollution trend using GIS and RS applications in South West of Iran. Journal of the Indiansociety of remote sensing. 2014;42(1):179-86.
8. Nehr S, Hösen E, Tanabe SI. Emerging developments in the standardized chemical characterization of indoor air quality. Environment international. 2017;98:233-7.
9. Shakeel M, Arshad Q, Saeed R, Ahmed T, Khan HMT, Noreen M, et al. Application of GIS in vsualization and assessment of ambient air quality for SO2 and NOx in Sheikhupura City, Pakistan. Journal of Geography & Natural Disasters. 2015;5(3):1-7.
10. Lelieveld J, Evans J, Fnais M, Giannadaki D, Pozzer A. The contribution of outdoor air pollution sources to premature mortality on a global scale. Nature. 2015;525(7569):367-71.
11. Lafuente R, García-Blàquez N, Jacquemin B, Checa MA. Outdoor air pollution and sperm quality. Fertility and sterility. 2016;106(4):880-96.
12. Deng Z, Chen F, Zhang M, Lan L, Qiao Z, Cui Y, et al. Association between air pollution and sperm quality: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Environmental pollution. 2016;208:663-9.
13. Khafaie MA, Yajnik CS, Salvi SS, Ojha A. Critical review of air pollution health effects with special concern on respiratory health. Journal of air pollution and health. 2016;1(2):123-36.
14. Kampa M, Castanas E. Human health effects of air pollution. Environmental pollution. 2008;151(2):362-7.
15. Shahbazi H, Reyhanian M, Hosseini V, Afshin H. The relative contributions of mobile sources to air pollutant emissions in Tehran, Iran: an emission inventory approach. Emission control science and technology. 2016;2(1):44-56.
16. Halimi M, Farajzadeh M, Zarei Z. Modeling spatial distribution of Tehran air pollutants using geostatistical methods incorporate uncertainty maps. Pollution. 2016;2(4):375-86.
17. Hassani A, Hosseini V. An assessment of gasoline motorcycle emissions performance and understanding their contribution to Tehran air pollution. Transportation research part D: Transport and environment. 2016;47:1-12.
18. Esfandani MA, Nematzadeh H. Prediction of air pollution in Tehran based on evolutionary models. Indian journal of science and technology. 2015;8(35):1-5.
19. TUNA F, BULUÇ M. Analysis of PM10 pollutant in Istanbul by using Kriging and IDW methods: Between 2003 and 2012. Analysis. International journal of computer and information technology. 2015;4(01):170-5.
20. Akkala A, Devabhaktuni V, Kumar A. Interpolation techniques and associated software for environmental data. Environmental progress & sustainable energy. 2010;29(2):134-41.
21. Erdogan S. A comparision of interpolation methods for producing digital elevation models at the field scale. Earth surface processes and landforms. 2009;34(3):366-76.
22. Vorapracha P, Phonprasert P, Khanaruksombat S, Pijarn N. A comparison of spatial interpolation methods for predicting concentrations of particle pollution (PM10). International journal of chemical, environmental & biological sciences 2015;3(4):302-6.
23. Jha DK, Sabesan M, Das A, Vinithkumar NV, Kirubagaran R. Evaluation of interpolation technique for air quality parameters in port blair, India. Universal journal of environmental research & technology. 2011;1(3):301-10
24. Rivera-González LO, Zhang Z, Sánchez BN, Zhang K, Brown DG, Rojas-Bracho L, et al. An assessment of air pollutant exposure methods in Mexico City, Mexico. Journal of the air & waste management association. 2015;65(5):581-91.
25. Saniei R, Zangiabadi A, Sharifikia M, Ghavidel Y. Air quality classification and its temporal trend in Tehran, Iran, 2002-2012. Geospatial health. 2016;11(2):213-20.
26. Amini H, Taghavi-Shahri SM, Henderson SB, Naddafi K, Nabizadeh R, Yunesian M. Land use regression models to estimate the annual and seasonal spatial variability of sulfur dioxide and particulate matter in Tehran, Iran. Science of the total environment. 2014;488:343-53.
27. Naddafi K, Sowlat MH, Safari MH. Integrated assessment of air pollution in Tehran, over the period from September 2008 to September 2009. Iranian journal of public health. 2012;41(2):77.
28. Amini H, Taghavi-Shahri SM, Henderson SB, Hosseini V, Hassankhany H, Naderi M, et al. Annual and seasonal spatial models for nitrogen oxides in Tehran, Iran. Scientific reports. 2016;6:1-11.
29. Sayadi M, Sayyed M, Kumar S. Short-term accumulative signatures of heavy metals in river bed sediments in the industrial area, Tehran, Iran. Environmental monitoring and assessment. 2010;162(1-4):465-73.
30. Gunarathna MH, Kumari MK, Nirmanee KG. Evaluation of interpolation methods for mapping pH of groundwater. International journal of latest technology in engineering, management & applied science. 2016;5(3):1-5.
31. Ahmadian M, Chavoshian M. Spatial variability zonation of groundwater-table by use geo-statistical methods in central region of Hamadan province. Annals of biological research. 2012;3(11):5304-12.
32. Seyedmohammadi J, Esmaeelnejad L, Shabanpour M. Spatial variation modeling of groundwater electrical conductivity using geostatistics and GIS. Modeling earth systems and environment. 2016;2(4):169.
33. Wang S, Huang GH, Lin QG, Li Z, Zhang H, Fan YR. Comparison of interpolation methods for estimating spatial distribution of precipitation in Ontario, Canada. International Journal of Climatology. 2014;34(14):3745-51.
34. Sagar R. Quality of ground water in aurangabad district (Maharashtra, India) using geostatistical method. International journal of innovative science, engineering & technology. 2015;2(2):7.
35. Zhang X, Lu X, Wang X. Comparison of spatial interpolation methods based on rain gauges for annual precipitation on the Tibetan Plateau. Polish journal of environmental studies. 2016;25(3).
36. Mair A, Fares A. Comparison of rainfall interpolation methods in a mountainous region of a tropical island. Journal of hydrologic engineering. 2010;16(4):371-83.
37. Ahadi S, Roshani M, Tadari M, Torbatian S. Annual report on the ambient air quality of Tehran, 2015-2016 (1394). Tehran Air Quality Control Company (TAQCC), No. QM95/02/01(U)/01. Tehran, Iran.