A content analysis of articles published in recent decade in environmental health journals with an emphasis on air pollution
Introduction: Air pollution is one of the environmental concerns of many countries, including Iran. One of the most common and effective ways to explain the importance of this issue is to perform research and publish scientific articles. Therefore, this study aimed to monitor scientific publications on air pollution in the specialized environmental health journals of Iran within the last ten years.
Materials and methods: This descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted on all articles published in the field of air pollution in five specialized environmental health journals within 10 years (2008-2017). Data were collected using a checklist in accordance with the research objectives. The variables in the checklist were selected based on the recommended items for writing medical articles by the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) and the World Association of Medical Editors (WAME). The obtained data was analyzed using descriptive statistics.
Results: Reviewing 1276 articles in 102 issues of the 5 specialized environmental health journals showed that 11.6 % of articles were published in the field of air pollution. The trend in air pollution researches over the past decade was a slow and growing trend. Studying articles related to air pollution showed that the highest proportion of articles (45.3 %) in this field were related to measuring the organic matter. The analysis of the content of the articles showed that, from the research methodology point of view, most articles (24.3 %) were performed by laboratory method.
Conclusion: Due to the widespread nature of air pollution issue in many cities of Iran and other countries in recent years and its destructive effects on human and other creatures, it is expected to focus and perform more researches on this issue. Hence, health policymakers should place the air pollution issue at a higher priority, and also it would be useful for researchers, especially graduate students, to focus on research in this area, drawing international cooperation.
2. Jafarian S, Aghalari Z, Najar M. Evaluating the Knowledge and Attitude of Air Pollution Control in Tehran from the Elderly and Pregnant Women-2017. Safety promotion and Injury prevention. [In Persian].2018; 6(2):73-80.
3. Sajjadi S, Ketabi D, Joulaei F, Zarrinfar H. Evaluation of Fungal air contamination in Wards and Operating rooms of Montaserie Organ Transplant Hospital, Mashhad. Journal of paramedical sciences & rehabilitation. [In Persian]. 2017; 6(1): 17-25.
4. Anderson JO, Thundiyil JG, Stolbach A. Clearing the air: a review of the effects of particulate matter air pollution on human health. Journal of Medical Toxicology. 2012; 8(2): 166-75. doi: 10.1007/s13181-011-0203-1.
5. Shahsavani A, Yarahmadi M, Jafarzade Haghighifard N, Naimabadie A, Mahmoudian M, Saki H, et al . Dust Storms: Environmental and Health impacts. JNKUMS. [In Persian]. 2011; 2 (4) :45-56.
6. Shahsavani A, Emam B, Yarahmadi M, Nazari SSH, Hadei M, Kermani M, et al. Cause-specific mortality attributed to fine particles in Mashhad, Iran (2013-2017). Journal of Air Pollution and Health. 2018; 3(3):127-34.
7. Mohammadi M, Mohammadi P. Indoor air pollution and acute respiratory infection among children: an updated biomass smoke. Journal of Air Pollution and Health. 2018; 3(1): 49-62.
8. Omidvari M, Gharmaroudi M. Analysis of human error in occupational accidents in the power plant industries using combining innovative FTA and meta-heuristic algorithms. Health and safety at work. [In Persian]. 2015; 5 (3):1-12.
9. Tirgar A, Aghalari Z, Farajzadeh Alan D. Application of Quran and Nahj al-Balagha in Persian Scientific Articles Published by Medical Sciences Universities. Religion and Health. [In Persian]. 2017; 5(2): 68-76.
10. Aghalari Z, Tirgar A. Topics of Disasters in Scientific Outputs of Medical Sciences: A Cross-Sectional Study. Health in emergencies and disasters. 2017; 2(2):47-52.
11. Tirgar A, Samaei SE. Monitoring one decade of scientific output regarding occupational health with emphasis on ergonomics researches. Journal of Ergonomics. [In Persian]. 2017; 5 (1) :10-17.
12. Amouzade S, Aghalari Z, Tirgar A. Determination of research bias based on the articles published in health management journals. Journal of health research in community. [In Persian]. 2017; 3 (1) :69-76.
13. Centers for disease control and prevention. Environmental Public Health Indicators. Division of Environmental Hazards and Health Effects Atlanta, Georgia January 2006; 10-23.
14. Organization WH. Environmental health indicators for the WHO European Region 1: update of methodology May 2002. Copenhagen: WHO Regional Office for Europe, 2002.
17. Van Eck N, Waltman L. Software survey: VOSviewer, a computer program for bibliometric mapping. Scientometrics. 2009;84(2):523-38.
18. Ghorbani M, Firooz Zarea A. Valuation of different characteristics of air pollution in Mashhad. Journal of Economic Research. [In Persian]. 2010;44 (4): 215-241.
19. Khorasani N, Cheraghi M, Nadafi K, Karami M. Study of air quality in cities of Tehran and Isfahan in 2000 for the Civic and its recovery. Iranian journal of natural resources. [In Persian]. 2002;55(4):567-99.
20. Owlia P, Ghanei M. Situation of science and technology productions in the field of medical sciences in Islamic Republic of Iran . Hakim Health Sys Res . [In Persian]. 2014; 17 (1) :34-43.
21. Ghorani-Azam A, Riahi-Zanjani B, Balali-Mood M. Effects of air pollution on human health and practical measures for prevention in Iran. Journal of research in medical sciences : the official journal of Isfahan university of medical sciences. 2016;21:65. doi:10.4103/1735-1995.189646.
22. Tofighi Sh, Teymourzadeh E, Ghanizadeh Gh. Academic entrepreneurship in a medical university: A system dynamics approach. International review. 2017(1-2):58-72.
23. Sarkhosh M, Mahvi A, Zare M, Alavi J, Mohseni M. Assessment of volatile organic compound (VOC) in Tehran air pollution in 2010-2011. Journal of Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences. [In Persian]. 2013; 12 (4) :271-278.
24. Hoseinzadeh F, Firozie H, Siahposhtkhachki A. Towards the third generation of medical universities. Journal of medical education and development. [In Persian]. 2018; 12 (4) :239-245.
25. Afsharnia M, Jafarian S, Aghalari Z. Entrepreneurship Abilities in Environmental Health Graduates of Mazandaran in 2017: A Short Report. Journal of Rafsanjan university of medical sciences. [In Persian]. 2018; 16 (11) :1081-1088.
26. Taheri S S, Nazemisalman B, Faghihzadeh S, Rahbar J, Asgharnejad B. Study of barriers to research from Zanjan University of Medical Sciences students' point of view in 2016. Journal of medical education development. [In Persian]. 2018; 10 (28) :65-77.
27. Royle J, Coles L, Williams D, Evans P. Publishing in international journals: An examination of trends in chinese co‐authorship. Scientometrics. 2007; 71(1):59‐86.
28. Tabatabaei-Malazy O, Ramezani A, Atlasi R, Larijani B, Abdollahi M. Scientometric study of academic publications on antioxidative herbal medicines in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Journal of diabetes & metabolic disorders. 2016;15(1):48.