Evaluation of noise pollution in Shiraz in 2018
Introduction: Noise pollution has become one of the most serious environmental issues in the large cities of Iran. Although several studies have been conducted on noise pollution in different Iranian cities, to date no such study has been done in Shiraz, a city of roughly 1,250,000. Therefore, the aim of this study was to provide a map of noise pollution in Shiraz and compare the levels of noise pollution in different parts of the city.
Materials and methods: For this study, 33 areas were selected in Shiraz. The level of noise pollution was measured at the hours of 008:00, 13:00, 18:00 and 22:00. Then, with the aid of ANOVA, the level of noise pollution in each area was compared to those of other areas of the city. Finally, with the help of ArcView GIS, noise pollution maps of Shiraz were prepared.
Results: The results of this study showed that the average noise pollution of Shiraz at the hours of 08:00, 13:00, 18:00 and 22:00 was 58.55, 59.56, 61.1 and 61.07 dB, respectively. On Mondays and Wednesdays, averaging 61.4 and 62 dB, respectively, the highest noise pollution was found in the city of Shiraz. This city’s lowest noise pollution occurred on Friday, Iran’s weekend and day of religious observance, with an average of 56 dB.
Conclusion: Some parts of Shiraz at 13:00, 18:00, and 22:00 had higher noise pollution (70 dB). This study was carried out in late summer 2018, so it is recommended that such studies be conducted in other seasons. The results of this study can be used to create a comprehensive noise pollution management plan in Shiraz.
2. Abbaspour M, Golmohammadi R, Mahjoub H, Parvin N. Study of voice traffic in the main thoroughfares of Hamedan, in: 2nd National conference on health, environment & sustainable development, 2005, pp. 14-16.
3. Barbosa AS, Cardoso MR. Hearing loss among workers exposed to road traffic noise in the city of São Paulo in Brazil, Auris Nasus Larynx. 2005;32(1): 17-21.
4. Tempest W. Noise in industry, the noise handbook, academic press, New York. 1985: 179-194.
5. Smith A. A review of the non-auditory effects of noise on health. Work & stress. 1991;5(1): 49-62.
6. Babisch W, Elwood PC, Ising H, Kruppa B. Traffic noise as a risk factor for myocardial infarction, Schriftenreihe des Vereins fur Wasser-, Boden-und Lufthygiene. 1993;88: 135-66.
7. Zannin PH, Diniz FB, Barbosa WA. Environmental noise pollution in the city of Curitiba, Brazil. Applied Acoustics. 2002;63(4): 351-8.
8. Kikuchi K, Sakai M. Noise control standards in the city of Tokyo. Auris nasus larynx. 1986 Jan 1;13:S51-4.
9. Mekanik M. Alignment noise map in Tehran. Tehran: Building and housing research center. 1986.
10. Majidi F, Khosravi Y. Noise pollution evaluation of city Ccenter of Zanjan by geographic information system (GIS). Iranian journal of health and environment. 2016 Jun 15;9(1):91-102.
11. Emamjomeh MM, Nikpay A, Safari VA. Study of noise pollution in Qazvin (2010).
12. Ghanbari M, Nadafi K, Mosaferi M, Yunesian M, Aslani H. Noise pollution evaluation in residential and residential-commercial areas in Tabriz-Iran. Iranian journal of health & environment. 2011 Oct 1;4(3).
13. M. Kiany Sadr, P. Nasiri, M. Abbasspoor, M. Sekhavatjoo, Noise pollution survey in Khorramabad, in: Proceeding of 10th National Environmental Health Congress, 2007.
14. Motalabi kashani M, Hannani M, Akbari H, Almasi H. Noise pollution in Kashan in 2000-01. Feyz Journal of Kashan University of Medical Sciences. 2002;6(1):30-6.
15. Monazzam MR, Naderzadeh M, Nassiri P, Momen Bellah S. Performance of PRD welled surfaces in t shape noise barriers for controlling environmental noise. Iranian journal of health and environment. 2010 Jul 15;3(2):213-26.
16. Nassiri P, Monazam Esmaeelpour M, Rahimi Foroushani A, Ebrahimi HO, Salimi Y. Occupational noise exposure evaluation in drivers of bus transportation of Tehran City. Iranian journal of health and environment. 2009 Sep 15;2(2):124-31.
17. Crocker MJ, editor. Handbook of noise and vibration control. John Wiley & Sons; 2007 Oct 5.
18. Hamburg JA. A noise pollution level instrument, Rev. Sci. Instrum., 44 (1973) 1618-1620.
19. M. Kiani Sadr, P. Nasiri, M. Sakhavatjoo, Abbas pour M. Evaluation of environmental sound pollution in Khoram Abad city, in: Proceedings of the 10th National Congress on environmental Health, 2007, pp. 8-10.